Friday, April 19, 2013

Look for the helpers....


This tragedy in Boston, a city which I have called home for the past 8 years has rocked me to my core. It is so horrifying and frightening that something like this could happen, so close to home...you just never think something like this can happen. It's been tough celebrating a birthday and welcoming a new year of life when there are so many heavy hearts around this city. But that's what we have tried to do, because in the face of evil, we can't back down. There is more good in this world than bad and in the end, good will always win.

Watching the events unfold on the news has just been heartbreaking, but I've found comfort in an old Mr. Roger's quote, that is often brought up when tragedy hits, and it's rang so true to me lately:

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.

Throughout this tragedy, there are so many helpers that have come through. I've been so comforted by the outpouring of kindness, love and support during this time. From the people that finished the race and then ran right on to the area hospitals to donate blood, to the man who lives a block away and passed out juice and snacks to the wounded, to the people who live on the marathon route right near the school I work at who opened their homes to those needing a place to stay. The kindness of people has shone through in a huge way and I am so proud of this city. We have showed the world how tough we are and how selfless we are. It's been a huge glimmer of light amidst the darkness of this evil act.

As our president stated, "Boston is a tough and resilient town.  So are its people.  I’m supremely confident that Bostonians will pull together, take care of each other, and move forward as one proud city."



Love you, Boston xo

No comments:

Post a Comment