Thursday, April 26, 2012

Gettin' Crafty


I am SUCH a pinterest junkie, and lately I've been getting so inspired by the things I'm 'pinning'. I have never been the 'craftiest' girl, Martha Stewart, I am not...but some of the projects out there just look so easy, that I convinced myself to try them out!

The first was a pretty basic DIY chalkboard. I took two items that I really had no use for anymore and turned them into chalkboards.  One is a corkboard that I've had since I was like 12, (and yes I did have to use extra primer to paint over all the teenybopper musings, i.e. "I heart Dan" and "Erin +Liz=BFF!" LOL). The other was a mirror with a really cool frame-the mirror broke, but I kept the frame, because I just loved it and knew I would find something useful for it!

 2 coats of primer each!

2 coats of chalkboard paint, and they were ready to go!

After my successes with the chalkboards, I built up the courage to try making over two pillows with some fabric that I picked up. 

Materials: pillows, fabric, scissors, hem tape, iron

covering the pillows with fabric before I make the cut "measure twice, cut once"

Making the cuts, of course Gertie had to get in on the action!

She just had to see what I was doing :)


break for doggie kisses :)

and cuddles :)
back to work...
determine where you want hem, then find something semi-heavy to hold it down

I attempted to match up the hem...

clearly Gertie wanted to help

Hi Mom!

Iron the hem down-about 90 seconds applying pressure

voila! one pillow down...

I got this ma!
what?...I'm helping...

I used the fold of the fabric for the back, and hem tape for each side...then I decided to go with a velcro enclosure for the final side, so that I could mix it up with a different pillow cover if I ever wanted to...

A shot of the velcro...use the same method as hem tape. Iron for 90 seconds applying pressure (iron on the fabric side, not touching the actual velcro side)


and ta-da! all done!


So that marks my first adventure into the world of DIY crafting :) Up next, I think I'm going to attempt DIY roman shades found here or here ...eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment