Friday, December 21, 2012

Heavy Hearts

Sandy Hook Memorial

A week ago today, the world changed. It got a little dimmer. Being a teacher became a little more frightening. Since hearing of the horrific tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School, I have been walking around with a heavy heart, and I know all of you have as well.

I don't know if it's that I grew up in CT, in a quiet, sleepy town, just like Newtown, or that I am now a teacher and cannot fathom the horror that they all experienced, but I just cannot get over it. I am carrying around a sadness that I just can't seem to escape. I have been glued to the TV, constantly watching every news story that comes up, and every time I hear a parent speaking out about their beautiful angel that they lost too soon,  I cry. I sob uncontrollably. I just can't stop the overwhelming feeling of grief and sorrow I feel for the 26 victims. For the staff members of the school. For the first responders. For the town. For our country. It's just all so heartbreaking.

Going into school this week has been really hard. I couldn't wait to get into my classroom Monday morning and hug every single one of my students and let them know how much I love being their teacher.

I will celebrate this Christmas by hugging each one of my family members a little closer, remembering what is truly important in life. 

Rest in Peace, beautiful angels of Newtown, CT. 



“It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” 
- John Steinbeck



Victims of Newtown, CT



No comments:

Post a Comment