Thursday, June 23, 2011

School's Out for Summer!



No more pencils, no more books, no more teachers dirty looks!

Okay, now for the sappiness: although I'm super pumped for this year to be over, and believe me, these past few weeks have tried my patience and sanity.  For me, the last day of school is always bitter sweet. (Yes, I'm the lame-o that actually sheds a few  tears bawls saying good-bye to my students on the last day). I think it's partly because as a special educator, I get the privilege of working with my amazing kiddos for 3 to 4 years, during a particularly fun part of life-adolescence.

Working with middle schoolers has been a challenging, rewarding experience not to mention great birth control :) and between the dress code violations, break ups, defiant outbursts, and drama this year, I may have gained a few gray hairs. Middle school is such a tough time-I mean would anyone out there want to re-live their middle school years (braces, stringy bangs, feeling awkward in your own skin)?? I don't think you could pay me enough...

Another thing that has hit home for me, is that I have a few students in my class who depend on the free/reduced breakfasts and lunches they get throughout the school year. Although I work in a pretty really affluent community, there are students, a few in particular who I have come to know and love that dread summer because they don't always know where there next meal will come from :( My heart  absolutely breaks for them.  Life is just so unbalanced sometimes!

As I look forward to the summer, I have many fun plans including beach trips, concerts, baseball games and celebrating our first anniversary :) I realize how truly blessed my life is and how unbalanced and unfair life can be! It really makes all the silly worryings and arguments fade away...

Happy Summer everyone!!

What are your plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment